(31 December 1848 - 12 June 1913)
Born in Richmond, Yorkshire, Hedley and his family moved to Newcastle upon Tyne in 1850. He studied art and design at the government school in Newcastle, and attended evening classes at the Life School under William Bell Scott. After serving his apprenticeship, Hedley established himself as a successful painter of portraits and landscapes, as well as an accomplished woodcarver. Examples of his wood carving work can be found in both St Andrew's Church and The Cathedral Church of St Nicholas in Newcastle, where he designed the chancel.
Hedley first started exhibiting his paintings in Newcastle in 1878. He was a member of the Royal Society of British Artists, Vice-President of the South Shields Art Club, and had more than forty of his paintings displayed at the Royal Academy between 1879 and 1904.
View painter's art: Ralph Hedley (1848-1913)